Are you older than 50? Get your Shingrix!
What is Shingrix? It is the “new” shingles vaccine. Shingrix, also called recombinant zoster vaccine, is a rockstar of vaccines.
It decreases shingles infections
- For those 50-59 years, Shingrix decreases shingles by 96%
- For those 60 to 69 years, Shingrix decreases shingles by 97%
- For those 70 and older, Shingrix decreases shingles by 91%.
It also decreases postherpetic neuralgia, the medical term for long-term nerve pain where the shingles rash was. This can continue after the rash has cleared.
- For those 50 to 69 years, Shingrix decreases postherpetic neuralgia by 89%
- For those 70 and older, Shingrix decreases postherpetic neuralgia by 89%
The FDA suggests that if you received Zostavax in the past, you should get the Shingrix vaccine. In comparison, Zostavax is only 51% effective in preventing shingles and 67% effective in preventing long-term nerve pain.
Want more information? https://www.aafp.org/afp/2018/1015/p539.html