Interested in keeping your noggin’ intact? Motorcycle crash victims who wore a full-face helmet were significantly less likely than those wearing other helmet types to have a
- facial-bone fracture ( from 26% to 7%)
- neck spine fractures (from 11.9% to 8.5%)
- skull fracture (from 10.6% to 1.2%)
- traumatic brain injury (from 24% to 13%)
- death (from 7.9% to 4.8%).
Did you know that only about 20 states require that all motorcyclists wear a helmet? Michigan’s governor repealed a 35-year-old law requiring helmets considering helmet-wearing a matter of individual liberty.
This is a political issue that has huge economic impact to the injured individual as well as society as a whole.
For full disclosure, I am not a motorcycle rider but I do take care of patients who ride.