How to prevent delirium:
Delirium is an acute confusional state. There’s an alteration of consciousness with decreased ability to focus, sustain or shift attention. Delirium usually develops over hours to days and may fluctuate during the course of the day.
To prevent delirium:
- Stay hydrated
- Get good nutrition
- Maintain oxygenation
- Avoid constipation
- If in the hospital, avoid tubes (monitors, foley catheters, intravenous lines)
- Keep mobile. Walk.
- Keep senses aware: Use eyeglasses, hearing aids, mobility devices).
- Prevent infections
- Limit medications that are psychoactive (sleep or anxiety medications)
- Manage pain with nonsedating medications like ibuprofen or acetaminophen
- Have familiar people around (family and caregivers)
- Visualize clocks and calendars.
- Get reoriented by family and staff to location and time, as needed.
- Avoid nighttime disturbances
- Reduce noise at night.
I hope this helps…
You must be logged in to post a comment.