Too many reasons to list. . . but I’ll try.
Benefits for mother:
- increased physical closeness with baby,
- decreased risk of breast cancer,
- decreased risk of ovarian cancer,
- decreased risk of endometrial cancer,
- less blood loss after birth which may translate to less chance of anemia (and feeling tired),
- burning 250 calories/day making milk,
- reduced rates of diabetes,
- reduced rates of osteoporosis.
Benefits for baby:
- less chance of infections (ear infections, pneumonia, diarrhea)–read this less doctor or ER visits and less fevers,
- less eczema,
- less wheezing and asthma,
- less risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS),
- decreased risk of obesity as both a child and as an adult, decreased risk of diabetes.
- Always available!