This is a great feat! Although I should place a caveat that TWICE as effective as this medicine for preventing diabetes is lifestyle modification with diet and exercise (see below for specifics).
Metformin is a medicine that reduces the risk of developing diabetes in “at-risk” adults when compared to taking placebo pills. This effect is likely effective for up to 10 years.
Who is “at-risk”? Those with…
- Elevated fasting glucose (more than 100 on a fasting lab test),
- Hemoglobin A1c test result 5.7-6.4,
- History of gestation diabetes with a pregnancy,
- Obesity (BMI of more than 25),
- Polycystic ovary syndrome,
- Family history of diabetes,
- Peripheral Vascular Disease,
- High cholesterol.
Lifestyle modification is harder than taking a pill every day, but may also positively affect many other areas of your life. This study showed that a modest weight loss of 7% body weight and exercising 150 minutes per week was greatly effective in decreasing the risk of converting to overt diabetes.
Why not take out your walking shoes today?